Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150216130241.htm Author: University of Leeds Topic: Scientists report that chemicals that are not controlled by a United Nations treaty designed to protect the Ozone Layer are contributing to ozone depletion.
A "very short lived" substance called VSLS is helping deplete the ozone layer. It can be created naturally and industrially. Unfortunately, the industrial production of this substance is not controlled by the United Nations Montreal Protocol because it has not been known to cause major damage to the zone layer in the past. This new substance is also 4 times more efficient at affecting the climate than longer lived gases, so even though it's influence is small compared to other substances, over time the influence of the VSLS will exceed the level of the other longer lived gases.
VSLS breakdown also destroys the ozone in the lowermost part of the stratosphere, which has a larger impact on our climate than the ozone being destroyed from higher altitudes. Although, naturally released VSLS accounts for about 90% of the damage that VSLS has caused in total to the ozone layer, while industrially released VSLS accounts for the other 10%, it is still a threat because man-made VSLS compounds are increasing and seems that it will continue to increase in the upcoming years.
I chose this article because I saw this topic and wanted to learn more about VSLS, because it's a new substance, and i wanted to know how this new substance would affect the ozone layer. The most interesting thing about this is that 90% of the total emissions of VSLS, and that we only account for 10%.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.