- Around the world China ended rules limiting families to one child
- unlikely to start a baby boom and economic growth
- in many parts of the world men are favored over woman (they carry over the ancestral line)
- 118 boys for every 100 girls
- Birth law unveiled in 1980
- 62 million missing women and girls in china
China decides to end rules that limit families from having more than one child. Some would think that a baby boom or economic growth would occur however, that is not the case. With technological advances, impregnated women can determine the gender by ultrasound, and with boys being valued more over girls, they can choose whether or not to abort if it is a girl. As a result this leaves a imbalance of genders in the population, with 118 boys to every 100 girls.
This article was very informative on the consequences of the one child policy. I knew about the one child policy, but not the reasons, consequences, benefits of the one child benefit. I didn't know the major difference of the number of boys to girls, which surprised me. Around the world couples have babies until they get a boy, but with ultrasound there's a lot less hassle of giving birth to a baby that you don't want.